Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Whole 30: Update, Benefits, and Food Substitution Ideas. BONUS: Food Jounal

Hi Everyone!

I am 16 days into the 30 day Whole 30 nutrition program.  That means 14 days, 2 weeks, to go!!!

Whole 30 Update:

Last week was difficult due to my migraine.  I just wanted simple, easy to prepare comfort foods - toast, grilled cheese, crackers, even a PB&J sandwich!  Thankfully, I had already made large batches of Chili (made with a tomato substitute: Recipe on Friday), and chicken and vegetable soup!  Dates were also extremely helpful in combating the nausea and preventing low blood sugar. 

 The Benefits!!!!!!!! 
 Less Pain
I'm still experiencing joint pain, stiffness, and swelling, however, it's not as intense and it goes away faster in the mornings after waking.  This means that I am taking fewer pain medications!! 

 Improved Sleep/Energy/Mood
I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, which translates into more energy, clearer thinking, and a noticeable improvement in my mood and inner dialogue.   

 Improved Appearance
I was disappointed to learn that I've only lost 2 lbs, but disappointment turned into elation when I measured myself and found that I had lost 6 inches collectively* - 3.5 around my waist and abdomen!! There's also noticeably less cellulite.  I have also had several people comment that my skin looks clearer and firmer! (O.K.  They actually said, "less wrinkly", sigh).  Oh, yea!  My nails no longer have ridges in them and they're actually growing instead of breaking and splitting!!

*I also need to mention that I haven't been working out regularly due to the migraine last week.  My goal is a 5 minute warm up, 15-20 minutes cardio, 5 minute cool down, and stretching 3-5 times a week. 

Food Substitution Ideas:

Oatmeal or Hot Cereal:  Cauliflower and Apple Porridge  (See Recipe in previous blog)

Potatoes:  Turnips, Parsnips, Rutabagas  (I really enjoy garlic fries made from turnips)

Tomatoes:  Beets  (I use spinach to cut the sweet taste of the beets in sauces and chili)

Soda Crackers and Coke (for nausea):  Soda Water and Dates

Soda/Cocktail fix:  4 oz of 100% juice and 4-8 oz of soda water  (I serve it in a champagne flute)  

Dessert:  1 Cup of frozen fruit partially thawed and sprinkled liberally with cinnamon and/or ginger

Energy Bars:  4 dried figs or dates split in half  topped with 4 walnut halves split in half

  *BONUS*   

FOOD JOURNAL:  I really like the Food Journal produced by Peter Pauper Press:


 In addition to tracking my food choices, I also track my pain/stiffness level, medications/treatments used, and the weather!

How is your nutrition and movement commitment going?  What are your favorite food substitutes?  Do you use a nutrition/condition journal?  Let us know what works (and didn't work) for you.

Have a great day!

To your Health!

Deanna





No comments:

Post a Comment