Friday, April 27, 2018

Recipes: Beets "No-Tomato" Chili from The Essential AIP Cookbook

Hi Everyone!

Still going strong on the Whole 30!  Hope you are successful in your endeavors at sticking to a healthy anti-inflammatory nutrition and motion plan.  Let us know what has/hasn't worked for you in the comments, as well as anything else you'd like more information on.

One of the foods that I really missed the first few times through the Whole 30 was chili.  It's easy to make and a favorite comfort food.  I have always been sensitive to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, chilies, peppers, eggplants, and canola oil) ever since childhood, especially tomato sauces and purees.  But as I've grown older, I have started to have an almost instant inflammatory reaction to all nightshades.  The most frequent reactions that I experience are swelling and pain in my hands, GI burning and upset stomach, and body wide inflammatory "fever" and aches. 

So why, you might ask, would I ever eat chili?  I had already learned that I was able to eat tomato based foods without having a reaction as long as it was only once or twice a month.  And, as I said earlier, it's a favorite comfort food.  I like it.  So every time I made a batch of chili, I also made a batch of a favorite soup.  Both are easy to reheat and prepare for a quick dinner throughout the week and I wouldn't have to have tomatoes again that week. 

Since my goals for committing to the Whole 30 are about decreasing inflammation, that meant removing nightshades from my diet for the duration.  No chili.  Also because legumes, beans, are not Whole 30 approved either.  That's why I was so elated to find this recipe!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

 Beets "No-Tomato" Chili pg 79

Prep Time:  15 minutes
Cook Time:  1 hour
Total Time:  1 hour
Yield:  2 Servings
Serving Size: 1 plate/bowl

Ingredients:  

  1 lb (454 g) ground beef  
  1/2 large onion, chopped
  2 small beets (approx. 164 g), peeled and diced
  2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth or water 
  10 basil leaves, diced
  4 cloves garlic, minced
  1/4 cup (15 g) fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
  Salt (to taste)
  Coconut oil (to cook with)  

Instructions:

1.  Place 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil into a pan and saute the chopped onion until it turns translucent.  Then add in the ground beef and keep sauteing it.
2.  Once the beef is cooked, add in the chopped beets to the pan.
3.  Add the chicken broth or water to the pan, place a lid on the pan, and simmer on a low heat for    30 minutes.  Check on the pan regularly to stir and to make sure it doesn't burn.  Add more water/broth if necessary.
4.  Once the beets are softened, add the basil, garlic, parsley, and salt to taste.
5.  Mix together and serve with Baked Spaghetti Squash (pg 132)

  In My Experience 


I use ground turkey instead of beef. 
If you're using ground beef, I would think beef broth would be okay.
I use olive oil instead of coconut oil.
I boil the beets and then puree them with 2-3 cups of spinach to cut the sweetness of the beets.
I dice carrots, celery, and mushrooms and add them into the pot.  The chunky veggies give texture and flavor.
Don't be afraid to experiment with your favorite spices. 
I add turmeric as an added anti-inflammatory spice.


Hope you enjoy.  Let us know what you think and what your favorite additions are.

I hope you have a great weekend.  See you Monday.

To your Health!

Deanna


No comments:

Post a Comment