Friday, April 13, 2018

Recipes: Hot Cereal Alternative -- Apple Cauliflower Porridge (Really, it's good!)

Hi Everyone! 

It's Friday so that means food! 

But first, my Whole 30 update.  I have made it through the week thus far and that feels great! 

One of the foods that I miss most when completing a Whole 30 program is oatmeal, good old fashioned oatmeal, with cinnamon and raisins.  Because the Whole 30 program is grain free, oatmeal is simply not on the menu.  That's why I was excited to find another recipe in The Essential AIP Cookbook by Louise and Jeremy Hendon, Apple Cauliflower Porridge, p 21.


I have made this recipe several times now, and I really enjoy the creamy texture and warm feeling in my tummy.  The texture is similar to Cream of Wheat and can be "doctored" with any favorite additions that you'd normally put in any hot cereal.

I recommend making this recipe, or any recipe, as directed the first time.  That way you get a feel for the basic intended flavors and textures.  Once you have the basics, it's easier to make it to your own taste next time.

Basic Recipe:  Apple Cauliflower Porridge   

Prep Time:  10 min
Cook Time:  0 min
Total Time:  10 min
Yield:  2 servings
Serving Size:  1 bowl

*Make sure to buy coconut milk without thickeners like guar gum.

Ingredients:
     1 apple, peeled and chopped into large chunks
     1/2 cauliflower (approx. 10 oz or 280 g) broken into florets and softened in microwave or steamed
     Dash of cinnamon
     1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut milk or water

Instructions:
     1.  Steam the cauliflower florets (or microwave it with some water in a bowl) to soften it.
     2.  Place the apple, cauliflower, cinnamon, and coconut milk/water into a blender.
     3.  Blend well and serve.

I'm not a big fan of coconut, so I use unsweetened almond milk without thickeners instead.  I've also made this recipe substituting pears for apples, which I've found I like better.  This morning I tried apple with raisins.  Yum!  Then I really started to brainstorm.  Things to try:  nuts, dates - especially if you want a sweeter flavor, dried unsweetened apricots or other unsweetened fruits - even prunes.  Try different spices - ginger, nutmeg, cardamom....Let us know what your favorite combination is. 

Oh!  One more thing, I just add everything to a sauce pan and cook/steam until the cauliflower is tender.  I don't peel the apples either.   You can't tell once it's blended.  Enjoy!

Hope you have a great weekend. 

Next week:  I'll start off with exercise tips because I didn't get to it this week.  Whole 30 update and grab and go ideas.  More recipes.  More on Folk and Homeopathic remedies for inflammation.

To your Health!

Deanna



No comments:

Post a Comment